Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cincinnati - at least it's not Cleveland

I'm in Cincinnati for work and it's not all that bad. There have been lots of trips to Cincinnati for Marquette games in the past. Cabbie's here are crazy though, our guy was going 90mph on random 2 lane highways and he didn't even really know where he was going. Also, who's run a red light in Cinci? I know I have. They have these weird mid-block street lights for crosswalks in the downtown area and I can't even count how many times those lights have been run by either me or my friends because we aren't used to lights in the mid-block. I'm surprised we never hit anybody actually.

Traveling doesn't really affect me all that much but as I get older I have decided that time zones suck. It's harder to get a hold of people when you live on the west coast and when I do travel it's just a pain to have a 5 hour flight and a 3 hour time change. Hawaii is two hours behind the Pacific time zone so Sunday football starts at 7AM. That would be hard to handle.

American education is scary or people don't listen. At dinner the waitress was asked what she had for "local" beers. After reading off Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, etc she managed to spit out a local micro. She either doesn't know anything about beer (our education system needs work!) or didn't listen to the question. We were eating at Applebee's because it was close and we didn't have car so I don't know why I'm surprised. Applebee's did change their menu around a bunch You get to mix and match your own appetizer selection and turn it into a meal. Why don't more places do something like this? I had Sliders, Wings, and Quesadillas. I could feel my arteries hardening and it was worth it. Applebee's actually had decent food last night.

My beer was a micro after we got through the locals of Bud and Bud Light, it was an Eliot Ness from the Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland. I guess Cleveland does have somethings worth mentioning afterall. Ratebeer.com seems to be better than beer advocate so I've switched to there rankings. The Widmer from yesterday was rated in the 36th percentile which is slightly below average while this Eliot Ness is in the 90th percentile. Eliot Ness is a pretty good beer, by example a Bud Light is 0% percentile. I think these rankings are pretty biased against cheap, macro, commercial beers because Burger is rated pretty high and it was not that great of a beer and it certainly wasn't that much worse than a Miller Lite. In fact, Stu preferred Natural Light over Burger Light while we were in college.

I'm watching a commercial on the Discovery Channel called When We Left Earth and it looks Amazing. I might have to buy a new TV just so I can watch this show in HD. One of my favorite movies is Apollo 13 so this is right up my alley. Watch this show!

1 comment:

Drew said...

Great Lakes Brewing out of Cleveland is awesome! The Eliot Ness is pretty tasty. You can find a lot of their beers around Chicago.

You MUST...I mean ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO go to Skyline Chili while you're there. It's the best reason for going to Cincy. Also, the Montgomery Inn (there are 2 locations, the Boathouse is closer to downtown) has the best BBQ in town and lots of good sports stuff.