Thursday, February 28, 2008

TRON

Paul Allen is a multi billionaire without anything to do but spend money on things he likes, it must be a great life. He owns two sports franchises, one of the largest yachts in the world, his own rock and roll musesum, and a movie theater. That's just the stuff I know off the top of my head but I'm sure there is tons more stuff out there. I've written about his theater before but I really like it. The precursor to IMAX and HD was something called Cinerama. Cinerama involved 3 projectors showing films on one massive screen with 6 channel sound. It might not sound like a lot but seeing movies in this format is pretty unique, according to Wikipedia there are only 3 places in the world capable of showing films in the 3 strip format. This week I went and saw Tron at the Cinerama in it's 3 strip projector glory.

Tron is not the best movie, in fact, it's probably an average movie with some pretty dated special effects. It also has interesting graphics and some very humorous pop culture references. I don't know if it was worth movie theater prices but seeing movies in a massive, restored, theater is pretty special. I'm more excited about seeing Lawrence of Arabia in this restored format in a few weeks than anything else.

I saw a 3D movie at the local IMAX theater. It was a recording of a live U2 show in Buenos Aires from a year ago I think. I'm not the biggest fan of IMAX but for $3 it was worth the price of admission. I don't know if I like IMAX enough to go out of my way for movies but it's so close to my place I should probably partake more frequently.

I've decided to join the digital music era and start getting my music in digital format. Putting CD's into a digital format takes a while per CD and it's pretty addicting. I need to go to bed before 2am tonight. Next on the list of things to buy is a digital music player of some sort... Ipods seem to be the way to go but as somebody who roots for the underdog I have to wonder if maybe an alternative player might not be the way to go. Then again Ipods are popular because they work so it might just be whatever goes on a deep sale first.

National MU day is this weekend. I'm not even sure what that means but we have a big mens home game so there should be plenty of people out to watch the game. Go MU! The Georgetown Hoyas are evil and should be destroyed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Laura. I see that you are from North Dakota. I am from Minnesota and it just happens our mom's work together. I was just wondering if you wanted somebody to talk to sometime.