Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Key Arena

I live 4 blocks away from Key Arena, where the Sonics play, and I went to my first game last night. I'm not a huge NBA fan by any standard, I rarely went to game in Milwaukee and that trend continued onto Seattle as well. I got a free ticket for a suite which is always nice because usually suite tickets mean free food and free drinks and last night was no different.

It was depressing. The place was half full on a bobblehead night (and bobbleheads are a major draw) and that is a terrible sign. The Seattle Supersonics are in a terrible spot the owner is openly trying to move the team and the city is suing the owners to make them honor a lease that will keep them in town for another 2 years. They traded away their marquee player, Ray Allen, and didn't resign another key player in Rashad Lewis. The owner, Clay Bennett, will only keep the team in town if he gets a new arena and the people of Seattle are a little taxed out. A football stadium, a baseball stadium, and MASSIVE road and infrastructure plans either already built or on the docket have burned a lot of people out. When I moved here I thought the Sonics would stay but no I'm not so sure. It's a sad state of sports franchise right now.

They are testing MacGyver myths on Mythbusters tonight. Who knew they were relatively realistic with that show. I'm kind of excited because Deadliest Catch is going to be starting soon. I keep waiting to see Sig or Edgar Hansen walking around town but no dice so far. A few of the Alaskan crab boats are based out of Seattle during the off seasons in the Ballard neighborhood. Someday I see somebody from the show.

No comments: