Wednesday, June 20, 2007

North Dakota

I grew up in North Dakota. It's flat, isolated, and I miss it at times. The story begins on Thursday at 10pm when I start heading for the airport. The bus was really late and I missed my redeye to Minneapolis. Luckily enough Northwest run a second redeye out of Seattle so no harm no foul. I slept most of the way on a crappy flight that was delayed and with no air on the ground. Awfully hot in a plane with no air.

The layover was long and the flight to Fargo was also delayed. Northworst. I landed in Fargo and was waiting for my friend from high school, Tyler, to pick me up. Out of nowhere a friend from high school comes up to me. Turns out a different friend from high school also lives in the Seattle metro and we were on the same flight out of the Twin Cites and would have been on the same flight out of Seattle if I would have made my flight.

A 10 year reunion doesn't sound fun to everybody, myself included to a certain extent, but it was a GREAT time. There were even a bunch of the "remember when" stories either, everybody has their own story to tell and rehashing the old ones was less exciting.

The class was very accomplished too. A doctor, two chiropractors, and a slew of professionals and self employed as well. When you haven't seen people in 10 years they grow and change a lot in ways you could have never imagined. It's hard to explain and a few beers make the memory worse as well.

I was glad to come home when it was all over. North Dakota is great, it really is. I could go back for weeks at a time but I can't imagine living there at the moment. I would miss all the cultural opportunities that are so close in a large metro area. I get bored easily and with so few entertainment options I'm not sure I could do it for a long time. Seeing the same people over and over again in the same 3 bars would be hard to handle. It was a great visit. If you are in a reunion year, or close to one, I highly recommend going.

No comments: