Tuesday, April 22, 2008

New Glasses

So I went with the Stylish pair of glasses. I'm very unsure of these glasses but EVERYBODY else seems to like them a lot. I guess I'll have to get comfortable with them but right now I feel terribly weird when I'm wearing them. I ended up with the "charcoal cork" style for what it's worth. I'll probably wear them forever since they cost more than I really wanted to spend especially since I'm not sure I like them. Oh well.

I updated the book I'm reading on the right. I haven't read a lot of fiction lately but The Pillars of the Earth was an excellent book. There were some very contrived parts of the plot and some rather gratuitous sex scenes but on the whole it was an excellent. I cared about the characters and I stayed up late to finish the book, which I don't do very often. It's worth reading.

I feel like I should write about lots of things but I don't seem to have much. I think I've started to turn into a Seattleite because I ordered a Triple Tall Americano earlier today. I had no idea what that meant before I got here and no I'm starting to speak Starbucks and I'm undecided about that development. I'm drinking a cheap domestic beer right now to counter-balance the whole situation.

Actually, after a few minutes of thought I'm going to write about something I've been keeping on the down low. Since about September I've been volunteering every Tuesday as part of the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program. It's not the full fledged program but I do go to an elementary school every Tuesday to "mentor" a "little brother". This normally means I sit around waiting for my "little" to finish up with class and play a recess game, usually kickball, during lunch hour. This leads into the lunch line and a board game during the remainder of the lunch hour.

There are TONS of things worth mentioning after doing this for almost an entire school year but most noticeable to me is either I'm very old or this elementary school is relatively awful. I don't know even know where to begin venting about the lunch program. This particular school doesn't have ovens! All of the food options are single serve (read: wrapped in cellophane) and microwaved!!!!! There is no guidance on what constitutes healthy food either. My "little" routinely skips over the fruits and/or vegetables offered to eat the worst food. Americans wonder about the obesity problem but I can say look no further than our elementary schools.

There will be more stories from elementary school once the school year is over.

1 comment:

My3sons52 said...

Hey Tyrel, I was in court on Thursday and one of the attorneys had your glasses. He looked ok for a shister lawyer!