Sunday, October 19, 2008

3 firsts

Most of the time I'm lucky if something new happens every once in a while. I don't mean little things like eating at a new restaurant - more like trying sushi or sweetbreads for example. I've never had a sweetbread myself but I'm willing to try them down the road at some point, and if you don't know what a sweetbread is you'll have to look it up on your own.

Anyway, so this weekend happened to be pretty much a planets aligning properly during an solar eclipse or something because a lot of different things happened. Some are pretty interesting others are borderline unbelievable and I'm still not sure how they all happened on the same weekend.

Thursdays I try to go to trivia with some friends I know in Seattle from kickball, and this week was a normal week. Our team came in third, which is out of the money, and we were killing a little time after and finishing out drinks when the girls from the kickball team started getting all twittery and speaking in hushed tones amongst themselves. A few minutes later a Bellydancer showed up to perform for member of the group who had a birthday over the weekend. I've never seen a belly dancer before but it was awesome. It's not dirty or trashy as some might imagine and the other patrons in the bar thought it was awesome as well. How one gets into belly dancing or hires a belly dance I'm not sure but the girls in the group of friends deserve major credit for a creative and unique idea. I'll post pictures when they are sent to me.

Friday was actual birthday celebration. I'll spare the details but it was a long night but a fun night.

Saturday afternoon brought on the next crazy thing. A lot of the same people from Thursday (trivia and kickball folks) were out an open house for Curling. That weird sport from the Winter Olympics where they slide rocks down the ice and sweep the brooms in front of the rock as it goes. I can say from my personal experience it is very fun, hard to balance yourself, and very difficult to control the rocks/stones. When the 2010 Olympics roll around a few of us are talking about going to Vancouver and trying to watch the Curling event. Team Fenson won a bronze medal in the 2006 games and are aiming for more. If you ever randomly have a chance to Curl I would definitely recommend it. I don't know why nobody thought to bring a camera but there doesn't appear to be any photo's from this event.

The final first is easily the most unbelievable by far. David's brother is actively involved in politics with the Obama campaign. There was an event in Tacoma WA and 12,000 people showed up to watch VP candidate Biden speak and later that night there was a fund raiser at a downtown Seattle hotel. I don't make enough money to roll at this kind of event but I got the VIP treatment courtesy of David's brother. Knowing somebody who works for the campaign has it's privileges as I got to see a mini concert by Dave Matthews, meet/chit chat with current Governor Gregoire, Senator Patty Murray, Dave Matthews himself, and then I got a photo op with Joe Biden and Dave Matthews. As with the other two things, when I figure out how to get the professional photo posted on here I'll post that too. It's not who you know, it's who you knows older, politically active brother who can help out with some very cool stuff. It was very enlightening to be in the social strata of upper level politics and see how passionate people are to be that engaged in something they believe in. I might have only been there for a few hours but I can see how people get addicted to access.

I might never have such a wild couple of days again but I'm pretty sure they're all going to be remembered for a variety of different reasons.

There's other stuff I could write about this is enough for today.

No comments: