Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Fight for your right...

Amazon sells a boatload of books.

This is evidenced by the counter on the homepage approaching 700,000 presold copies of Harry Potter. Since we are a large bookseller one of the perks is Amazon holds something called Fishbowls. A fishbowl is basically an appearance by an author promoting a book for Amazon employees. A few weeks ago I saw Cal Ripken talking about baseball and how he used to give signs to the catcher, who would in turn relay them to the pitcher. Ben McDonald apparently sucks. He also wrote a kids book about the dubious honor of starting the 88 season off with 21 straight loses. Anyway, in a couple weeks Russell Simmons is speaking and I think this might be the most entertaining speaker to come in since I've been here. Simmons basically started the commerical rap movement in the 80's with Run DMC and later on Def Jam records. An entrepreneur and influential member of the african american community I'm sure he'll have a lot to say with the recent Imus mess and upcoming elections. He apparently has come out in support of Dennis Kucinich oddly enough.

On an unrelated note, if you ever get a moving stipend for "incidentals" during a big move such I've just made, don't spend the bulk of the money on a party. You really do incur a bunch of incidental expenses. I hadn't anticipated buying all the condiments the movers couldn't take with and I've spent a lot of money in the last few days buying stuff that I had to leave behind or throw away during the course of the move.

I'm buying a memory card for my camera before I go hiking this weekend so I hope to have some pretty cool pictures of Puget Sound, the Seattle skyline, and the Olympic Mountains. I need to take advantage of the outdoors or else I'll start to take it for granted.

No comments: