Sunday, February 22, 2009

I lied

I had these grandiose plans of posting a few entries in a row... That didn't happen so I'm going to write long ass post covering nearly the last month.

January. I went to Vancouver BC at the end of January with some friends from Seattle for a weekend. Scott is from the Twin Cities and a pretty big hockey fan and on January 31st, the MN Wild were playing the Vancouver Canucks in a Northwest Division matchup. Crossing the border proved to be anti-climactic and I was following a Marquette game on the internet so it was a quick trip up. I was riding with people so I wasn't even driving - it was nice.

The highlights are:

Eating 2 steaks in one day, one for lunch and one for dinner. That's over a pound of red meat folks... I think I could feel my cholesterol going up.

A really excellent hockey game with a last second goal by the Canucks to send the game into OT, followed by a Wild goal in OT for the win.

Getting a beer tossed on me. Yep, you read that right, I got a beer tossed on me because I was cheering for the victorious Wild.

Coming home just in time to watch a pretty decent Super Bowl.

The story surrounding the beer toss isn't even all that good. I've gone to more than enough sporting events as both a home fan and as a road fan to know that I didn't deserve a beer getting tossed on me. They were annoyed the Canucks lost and people decided to chuck a beer at the guy in the Yellow Northstars hat. Whoever threw the beer got me in the hat, no worries, but also managed to hit everybody around and several rows in front of me. That angered LOTS of people and nearly resulted in a brawl amongst Vancouver fans. They weren't mad someone was a D-Bag and chucked a beer at me - they were just mad they got hit as well. And people think all Canadians are nice...

On Monday I got on a plane and went to Scranton PA for work. There aren't really a lot of highlights from a work trip but I did eat Chicken Wings two nights in a row, and I've remembered why I don't eat chicken wings in Seattle. They can't compare to wings on the East Coast. Shenanigans and Bottlenecks have some pretty decent wings. MMMmmmmmmm chicken wings.

I decided this trip was a perfect chance for me to spend the weekend in Chicago. I decided to miss my connection and buy a one way ticket home on Sunday. It worked pretty well and this was a great weekend. I stayed and David and Emily's for the weekend even though Emily was out of town and it was pretty fun. We went out on Friday for the MU game - they lost - and a birthday party for one of David's Flag Football teammate who also went to MU. Saturday we went up to Mundelein to my friend Drew's place to make beer. Drew is an aspiring brewer and Bill, David, Ron, Drew, John, me, and Drew's dad stood around for a few hours drinking beer, making beer, and grilling out. It was excellent! We headed down to Goose Island and drank more beer.

After we left Goose Island went over to my friend Rachel's 30th Birthday party. My snowboard post is in honor of her 30th birthday and I know she'll learn someday. It was a long day but very fun and I got to see Jay and Mary as well. Good Times.

We met Emily at the airport and I left for Seattle on Sunday. For Valentines Day I went over to a joint birthday party and lost money on Poker and won at Euchre. It was a really enjoyable alternative to most weekends. I need more card nights in my life.

The next night, Sunday, my friend Fletch had a going away party at an authentic German bar. There were many boots of beer being consumed. A boot is two liters of beer and that's a lot of beer and it's a communal thing and it's delicious.

Sooner or later I'm going to have photo's of a lot of these events posted. Again going back to lazy.

1 comment:

Drew said...

It was fun hanging out when you were in town, I'm glad you decided to miss your connection and visit for the weekend!